The moon can affect our health in ways we aren’t always aware – it impacts on our sleep, our menstrual cycles if we’re female, and even our brains (ever wondered where the word ‘lunatic’ comes from?) so don’t be too surprised if these vanilla half moon biscuits send you a little crazy…
You’re actually lucky you’re getting this post. I barely even had chance to get a photo of these beautiful treats before they were totally demolished by my appreciative friends (you know who you are). Luckily they are super easy and quick to make and don’t contain any dairy, gluten or refined sugar, so no one felt TOO guilty after eating four in one sitting.
The chocolate dip makes these little biscuits extra special. I chose to decorate with crushed pistachios, but you might want to try other chopped nuts, dried fruit, coconut or seeds such as hemp, sunflower or pumpkin, for an added layer of decor and nutrition.
Half Moon Vanilla Biscuits
(Vegan, Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free)
Makes: 16-18 small biscuits
Takes: 10 minutes prep time; 12 minutes baking
(+ 30 minutes chilling time for the dough)
- 60g oat flour (create a flour by blending oats in a food processor)
- 50g plain gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 50ml brown rice syrup or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate of choice, or make your own (recipe here)
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Meanwhile melt the coconut oil in a pan and mix in the syrup and vanilla, before adding to the dry ingredients.
- Knead the dough together with your hands, then cover and chill in the fridge for around 30 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C. When the dough is ready, roll it out as thinly as possible on a floured surface and create your moons using a small circular biscuit cutter.
- Transfer to a baking tray covered in baking parchment and bake for around 12 minutes – keep an eye on them as they will catch easily. They may not seem fully ready when you remove them from the oven but they will continue cooking on the tray. Leave to cool completely.
- Melt your chocolate and dip your cooled biscuits to create your half moons. Add your toppings and allow to set in the fridge. I like to sprinkle a little more Himalayan salt on top too!